Resolving Problems With Breast Implants
Patients who choose to undergo breast augmentation may face rare complications that alter the appearance and feel of their breasts. A breast implant revision is a surgical procedure used to correct problems with breast implants and provide patients with breasts that look and feel great. The procedure can also be used to change or maintain breast augmentation results. Patients who have their breast implant revision performed by one of the specialists at Wave Plastic Surgery receive long-lasting results that they love.
Breast Implant Revision Candidates
Patients who undergo a breast implant revision commonly do so because of the following postsurgical complications:
- Shifting (symmastia)
- Hardening (capsular contracture)
Women may also choose to undergo an implant revision for non-complication related reasons. The most common of which including the following:
- To change breast implant size
- To upgrade to a newer implant type
- To treat breast tissue sagging that occurs due to natural aging processes
Women may also choose to undergo revision surgery for non-complication related issues such as to change the size of their breast implant, maintain a youthful appearance throughout the body’s natural aging process, or upgrade to a newer type of implant such as silicone gummy bear implants.
Because breast implants are not meant to last forever, patients may need to have a revision procedure to replace implants. The time frame for implant replacement is approximately ten years. Many patients who replace their implants also undergo a breast lift to maintain a youthful appearance.
A breast implant revision is an outpatient procedure that is typically performed under general anesthesia. Breast implant revision procedures can be grouped into the following categories:
- Defective implant removal: The surgeon removes the defective implant and replaces it with a new one. The same incision locations and breast implant pockets are usually used.
- Breast implant exchange: Old implants are removed and then replaced with new implants of the patient’s choosing. Implants can be changed according to size, shape, and material. A new incision pattern or placement may be needed when patients choose to significantly increase or decrease implant size.
Patients may return home shortly after their surgery. Special post-operative instructions are given to greatly minimize any possible complications. Patients who adhere to their post-surgical instructions can look forward to long-lasting, great looking results.
Get Started on Your Breast Implant Revision Procedure
Patients who are concerned about complications associated with their breast implants are advised to make an appointment with one of the specialists at Wave Plastic Surgery as soon as possible. Early treatment prevents unnecessary side effects and allows patients to quickly return to enjoying their results. Patients who want to update the look of their breasts may also contact Wave Plastic Surgery to schedule a free consultation. Please fill out the form on this page or give us a call to schedule a free consultation – (866) 552-0803.